Apply while building hours
For those pursuing an ATP or R-ATP, enroll in the Aviate® program before you apply to a United Express® regional partner and you’ll be on a defined path to United.
We’re looking for talented candidates who:
- Reflect our leadership qualities, including the ability to model character, think creatively, deliver results and foster teamwork
- Share our commitment to the principles of core4 service behaviors: Safe, Caring, Dependable and Efficient
- Demonstrate a passion for the industry and a lifelong dedication to excellence and achievement
Details and requirements
Step 1 Meet minimum eligibility requirements
Are you on the right Aviate career path? Or have you:
Graduated with a bachelor’s degree that grants R-ATP eligibility, from a participating university?
Check out the university path ➔
Obtained a Commercial Pilot Certificate with Instrument Rating from a participating flight school?
- Be employed or have accepted an offer of employment with one of Aviate’s universities, commercial flight schools or Part 135 operator partners
- Hold a valid FAA medical certificate that was originally issued as a first or second-class medical certificate
- Have a high school diploma or GED equivalent
Step 2 Apply to Aviate
- Submit an application Apply now
Complete your evaluation, which includes:
- Employment record and history review
- A panel interview
- A technical skill interview
- Personality and cultural fit inventory
When you join Aviate, you’ll gain access to:
- A direct path. Aviate participants can transition to United as a First Officer upon successful completion of the Aviate program and hiring requirements
- Travel privileges. Aviate participants enjoy travel privileges to United destinations around the world
- Coaching. Aviate participants will have the opportunity to participate in a coaching program and receive mentorship from United pilots
- Culture. You'll gain deeper connections with our United team, with access to senior leadership, site visits and tours, and an inside look at our inclusive culture
Step 3 Build toward your ATP/R-ATP certification
- Build flight hours toward your R-ATP/ATP and gain valuable experience teaching as a CFI at one of Aviate’s universities, professional flight schools or Part 135 operator partners
Step 4 Fly with an Aviate United Express carrier or Part 135 operator
Alternatively, you can:
Flying with our Aviate-participating United Express (UAX) carriers or Part 135 operators provides invaluable flying experience.
- Secure your path to a United First Officer position by completing 1,200 PIC (Pilot in Command) hours with an Aviate-participating UAX carrier or Part 135 operator
- For full details, see Chapter 5 of the APG
Step 5 Transition to United as a First Officer
- Once you complete your minimum transition requirements, you will be eligible to transition to United as a First Officer
- Participants will be assigned a First Officer class date and start at United within four (4) months of meeting the PIC hours requirement
Full details regarding Aviate eligibility and transition requirements can be found in the Aviate Program Guide (APG). For questions not covered in the APG, please provide your information and question in the space provided, and we’ll get back to you soon.