Apply as a member of the United Family
Are you or someone you know employed at United and interested in transitioning to a career as a pilot? How about a child of a United employee, or a former United Flight Operations intern pursuing a pilot career? If any of the above applies to you or someone you know, we encourage applying to Aviate.
The United family program process
Details and requirements
Step 1 Meet eligibility requirements
Steps vary depending on eligibility. Select your United status to find out more:
Step 2 Apply to Aviate
Steps vary depending on eligibility. Select your United status above to find out more.
Step 3 Fly & gain experience towards ATP minimums
- Work toward your ATP or R-ATP hour requirement
- While Aviate has many high-quality partners to gain valuable experience, you may work as a commercial pilot at any operator, instruct at your local airport, or build hours in any manner you would like toward your R-ATP or ATP hour requirement. Our partners include:
Step 4 Fly with an Aviate United Express carrier or Part 135 operator
Flying with our Aviate-participating United Express (UAX) carriers or Part 135 operators provides invaluable flying experience.
- Secure your path to a United First Officer position by completing 1,200 PIC (Pilot in Command) hours with an Aviate-participating UAX carrier or Part 135 operator
- For full details, see Chapter 5 of the APG
Step 5 Transition to United as a First Officer
Once you complete your minimum transition requirements, you will be eligible to transition to United as a First Officer.
You must also meet the following to be eligible for transition:
- Current passport with at least six-months of validity remaining at time of employment
- Legal right to work in the United States without sponsorship
- Must be able to travel freely within the United States and without restriction to all countries United serves
- Meet all additional First Officer hiring requirements
You will be assigned a First Officer class date and start at United within four (4) months of meeting the PIC hours requirement.
Full details regarding Aviate eligibility and transition requirements can be found in the Aviate Program Guide (APG). For questions not covered in the APG, please provide your information and question in the space provided, and we’ll get back to you soon.