Your privacy is important to us
Scope of this policy
- United-managed websites and mobile websites, including, for example, united.com, mileagplus.com, mobile.united.com, hub.united.com;
- United-managed mobile applications, such as the United App;
- Offline, including, for example, through a United Customer Contact Center agent or other travel agent;
- United Careers;
- United Cargo transactions, including but not limited to, those conducted on unitedcargo.com;
- United Wi-FiSM service portal;
- United ClubSM locations’ Wi-Fi service;
- United’s Technical Operations website; or
With respect to the above, please see those respective sites for the privacy policies that may apply.
Information we collect about you
We and our third party service providers collect and maintain information, including personal information, when you use the Site or communicate with us in connection with United’s recruiting of pilots.
The Site is not intended for use by children. We do not knowingly collect personal information from children under the age of 13. If you have reason to believe that a child under the age of 13 has provided personal information through the Site, please contact us and we will endeavor to delete that information.
Information we collect from you
The Site may allow you to subscribe to email communications about recruiting news and events. If you choose to sign-up, we collect your email address. You may unsubscribe from these communications at any time by selecting “Click here to unsubscribe to future mailing” link at the bottom of the email communication.
The Site may allow you send us questions about pilot recruiting. If you choose to submit a question, we collect your email address and other information you choose to provide.
Information we collect automatically
We and our third party service providers may automatically collect information about your use of the Site through cookies, web beacons, log files and other technologies. Such information includes but is not limited to, the following:
- Domain name;
- Browser type and operating system;
- IP address;
- Web pages you view;
- Links you click;
- Length of time of your visit;
- Your activities on the Site, including your movement through the Site; and
- Referring URL or webpage that led you to the Site.
How we use your information
We primarily use your information, including personal information, to facilitate United’s recruiting of pilots. We also may use your information for the following purposes:
- For operational needs and providing services. We use your information to carry out our operations and services and to facilitate your transactions or requests.
- To improve and maintain our sites and our services. We use your information to improve and maintain our sites and services, for other research and analytical purposes and for security purposes, including, but not limited to, protecting ourselves and users of our services.
- To protect our rights and interests, and the rights and interests of other users of our services.
- As permitted by law.
Disclosing your information
United may disclose your personal information to the following persons/entities:
- Affiliates. We may disclose information we collect from you to United Airlines and its affiliates or subsidiaries.
- Service providers. We may share your information with, or direct that your information be collected by, third parties that assist us and perform functions on our behalf. These entities may include technical support, website hosting, among others. In some cases third party service providers, such as information technology and data processing vendors, data storage services, etc., may be located outside the United States and your personal information may be processed or stored in other countries.
- Research and analytics. We may use and disclose your information for research and analytics purposes.
- Law enforcement/Legal processes/Other uses. United may also disclose your information: if required to do so by law, court order, subpoena or other legal process; as requested by a governmental or law enforcement authority; to protect the rights or property of United, its customers, its sites or Site users; or when we believe in good faith that disclosure is otherwise necessary or advisable. In certain circumstances, United’s third party service providers may be required to disclose information to government or law enforcement authorities.
- Business transactions. If United is acquired by or merges with another entity, if any of our assets are transferred to another entity, or as part of a bankruptcy proceeding, we may transfer the information that we collected from and about you to the other entity.
United and our third party service providers collect information by using technologies and methodologies, such as “cookies”, tags, web beacons or other similar technologies that enable tracking as you browse the Site. We and our third party service providers also use these tools to analyze use of the Site. We may use this information in the aggregate or combine it with information that we have already collected about you.
Cookies. “Cookies” are small bits of information that are stored on your computer by your web browser. Web beacons or “pixel tags” are small strings of code placed on a web page or in an email message for the purpose of transferring information. Cookies and the other technologies discussed in this section allow us to track your transactions and to facilitate effective Site administration.
If you do not want your information to be collected through cookies, you can change the preferences in your particular Internet browser. Some Site functionality may not work properly if your browser does not accept cookies. Please consult your chosen Internet browser for instructions on how to change your cookie settings.
Clear GIFs, pixel tags and other technologies. These technologies allow us to recognized your preference information, keep track of your transactions and facilitate effective website administration. Clear GIFs are tiny graphics with a unique identifier, similar in function to cookies. In contrast to cookies, which are stored on your computer’s hard drive, clear GIFs are embedded invisibly on web pages. We and our third-party service providers may use clear GIFs (also known as web beacons, web bugs or pixel tags), in connection with this Site to, among other things, track the activities of visitors, help us manage content and compile statistics about usage.
Third party analytics
Protecting information collected
United maintains, and requires its service providers to maintain, physical, electronic and procedural safeguards to protect your information.
Location of your information/Data transfer/Notice to non-US persons
Legal effect and changes to the policy