Aviate allows for more flexibility on United pilot path
Aviate offers pilots the most direct path to becoming a United First Officer and, ultimately, Captain. And we’re giving our United Express pilots a more direct path to realize that dream.
To that end, we’re proud to announce eligible pilots at United Express Aviate partners can join Aviate by simply opting in to the program — no extra interview, application or assessments required. Those who join Aviate receive a Conditional Job Offer and can ultimately flow to United as soon as they meet service minimums and transition requirements.
Additionally, while United has always sought to transition eligible Aviate participants to mainline as soon as possible, we aim to hire up to 24% of the Aviate transition list each year at each participating UAX carrier.
Additional key changes below:
United aims to hire up to 24% of the Aviate transition list each year at each participating UAX carrier
- United aims to transition 1-2% of the Aviate transition list per month at each participating UAX carrier
- A bachelor’s degree continues to be preferred across all United pilot hiring. Aviate Participants without a bachelor’s degree must serve a minimum of 1,000 flight hours as a Captain at an Aviate-participating UAX carrier or graduate from United Aviate Academy
- Aviate participants will now transition to United based on carrier-specific transition lists to provide consistency across partner carriers (previously, we used a universal FIFO list)
- To transition to a participating UAX carrier, Aviate participants now only need to meet specific training or employment milestones at a participating partner; participants are no longer required to build time exclusively in the Aviate ecosystem
- Pilots at participating UAX carriers can now opt in to join Aviate without a separate application, interview or assessment — we want to make this process as simple and easy as possible
Note: Eligible UAX pilots must meet certain Aviate requirements and have an acceptable technical and behavioral record at their UAX carrier to flow to United.
We’ve designed a program dedicated to professional development while bringing the highest quality talent to United, and these Aviate enhancements will help ensure aspiring pilots land at United.
We plan to host an additional information session to take a deep dive into Aviate and walk through our new enhancements. Please check back for details. In the meantime, learn more about our United Express Aviate pathway.
Full details regarding Aviate eligibility and transition requirements can be found in the Aviate Program Guide (APG). For questions not covered in the APG, please provide your information and question in the space provided, and we’ll get back to you soon.